A federal jury has awarded $21 million to a man who sued a former Chicago Police officer, accusing the officer of framing him for murder, authorities said.
Attorneys for Juan Johnson held a news conference to discuss the award, which they said they believed was the largest-ever in a wrongful conviction case involving the city of Chicago.
The jury granted the $21 million award to Johnson late Friday night after a two-week trial.
Johnson, a reputed Spanish Cobras leader, filed a lawsuit against former Chicago Police gang crimes specialist Reynaldo Guevara, accusing him of framing him with a 1989 murder. The city also was named in the lawsuit.
An appeals court tossed out Johnson’s conviction. He was retried and acquitted in 2004. At the second trial, a gang member said Guevara directed him to pick Johnson out of a lineup.
The FBI busted Johnson last year for allegedly selling drugs. At the time, he was a volunteer for the CeaseFire anti-violence group.